The Treasure Coast is known to hold many treasures, both natural and historical, but its name comes from the actual treasures that have been found here as well.
The Georges Valentine
An Italian barkentine ship that transported mahogany from northern Italy to Pensacola, the Georges Valentine met her fate in October of 1904, when she was caught in a storm and swept up the Atlantic. She crashed near where the House of Refuge museum currently stands. Survivors who were able to make it ashore walked 100 yards to the then-shipwreck rescue station and received aid from Captain William Rea. Today, the wreck is recognized as a Florida Underwater Archaeological Preserve and can be explored by divers and snorkelers. It’s relatively shallow and just off the beach.
The Wreck of the Urca De Lima
Part of the 1715 treasure ships from Spain, this is the shipwreck that set off the treasure hunting craze in the 70s, and helped the Treasure Coast get its name. William J. Beach came to the area of Fort Pierce in 1932, claiming that he had plotted where the Urca De Lima sank. One quickly assembled team and many dives later, he came up with over millions of dollars in coins and historical artifacts. The majority of the coins have been pulled up, and what’s left over belongs to the state of Florida, but the wreck is still at the bottom of Pepper Beach Park.
The flagship of Spain’s 1715 Treasure Fleet, The Capitana transported gold, silver, and other resources from the Spanish Colonies located in the New World to Europe. This ship was sunk between July 30th through the 31st in a hurricane that hit Florida’s coast. The Schmitt family, hired by a group called 1715 Fleet-Queens Jewels LLC, who had exclusive excavation rights to the 1715 Treasure Fleet wrecks, found over millions of dollars in gold coins and treasure on June 17, 2015, where the Capitana once lay.
Many precious artifacts and gold coins have been pulled off of the shores of the Treasure Coast, but the ships and their cargo aren’t the only treasures that are in the area. The Treasure Coast waters are home to more than just gold and silver treasures. Harbour Ridge is one of Florida’s premier private waterfront golf communities. Its waterfront location on the St. Lucie River makes it the perfect place to live, and it’s truly treasured by members and residents.
Harbour Ridge offers the best of the Florida lifestyle. The two championship golf courses wind along the river with beautiful views throughout the entire courses. In fact, both golf courses have been designated as ‘Certified Cooperative Audubon Sanctuaries’ for their commitment to nature conservation. Residents can entertain themselves with the bird watching club, or explore the surrounding area with kayak and boat rentals from the on-site Marina. To learn more about the unique Florida lifestyle offered at Harbour Ridge and the wide variety of residential real estate offerings available, CLICK HERE. We will email you a digital brochure that highlights the amenities and lifestyle of our waterfront community.
Palm City is a gorgeous place to work, play, and live, but were you aware of its history? It holds over 100 years of it. So much has happened here to make this vibrant community what it is today, which includes…
The fact that Palm City was bought for $1.91 and ¼ cents per acre.
Lawyer and real estate developer Charles Chillingsworth bought the land that would later be Palm City from George Beckwith for the stated price on August 10th, 1910. He then advertised it to Americans, Canadians, and a few Europeans, advertising that it was “healthful” land.
The fact that Chillingsworth used some interesting promotions.
Among his sales tactics, Chillingsworth offered a free acre of town parcel to anyone who bought land. He also planted pineapples, oranges, and grapefruit on the side of what would later be Martin Highway, to show how healthy and fertile the land was.
The fact that it hosted the Palm Villa Hotel.
The crown jewel of Palm City, it was three stories high and owned by George and Alice Jane (Sartain) Coffrin, who established it as a cultural, civic, and social center. It was open from 1913 to 1928. Many local groups would gather to meet under its castle-styled roof and chic gathering areas. Where it once stood is now where the bridge joins Martin Downs Boulevard.
The fact that a wooden bridge connected Palm City and Stuart.
It was first erected in February 1919 and cost over $60,000 to make. It was a draw bridge that helped prevent people from having to use the ferry or ford the river. In 1970, it was replaced with a concrete bridge.
The fact that Palm City’s first baseball team was called ‘The Palm City Swamp Angels.
It was organized by Charles Leighton (who served as Palm City’s first mail carrier) in 1922. They played on Leighton’s property, where he grew potatoes, citrus, and pineapples, among others, on twenty acres of land.
Palm City is a city with a storied history that helped firmly establish it as a part of Martin County. From the establishment of a wooden bridge to the creation of the Veteran Memorial Highway, and everything that happened in between, so much of Palm City’s history is Martin County’s history, and Florida’s history, by extension. Harbour Ridge has been a part of Palm City’s history as well, being one of Florida’s first waterfront golf communities. Located on the shoreline of the St. Lucie River in Palm City, Harbour Ridge is Florida’s premier waterfront golf community. Receiving the Outstanding Florida Community Award from Audubon International ensures that Harbour Ridge is protecting their natural history as well as their human history. The opportunities are endless with world-class amenities and the perfect South Florida location. And you’re just minutes from all of the fun and events in the area. Request a free digital brochure today to learn more about the community and the Florida lifestyle it offers, or visit us at harbourridge.com.